[poky] RFC: create-pull-request / send-pull-request updates

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Wed May 11 11:35:26 PDT 2011

On 05/11/2011 09:15 AM, Darren Hart wrote:
> Between myself and others, there are several outstanding proposals to
> modify the pull-request scripts. Patches have been sent, but nothing has
> been merged due to a lack of consensus. I thought I would summarize what
> I see to be the current weaknesses of the scripts and my proposal to
> address them. I would like your feedback to ensure we have tools that
> meet the needs of a broad user base. Once we agree, I'll be happy to
> write up the patches or help review those written by others.

Thanks for taking this up!

[snip]
> 2) create-pull-request needs to facilitate the use of multiple
>    repositories (Tom Rini)

So long as (a) it's supported and (b) it's easy to use, I'm fine with
however you want to implement it :)  Which brings me to...

[snip]
> 3) Rewrite the scripts in python (Tom)
>
>    While I agree that anything of any significant complexity is better
>    written in python than bash, I feel that with the above changes, the
>    current scripts will be smaller and remain simple enough for bash to
>    be a viable option.
>
>    I propose we leave the scripts in bash for the time being, leaving
>    the door open to rewrite them at a later date should their complexity
>    increase to merit the effort.

To me, dealing with some sort of prefs file means non-bash.  But if you
can figure out everything that's needed with a little bit of asking git
and a little bit of standard-shell-magic (which it sounds like you can),
yeah, keeping it in bash is fine.

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation