[yocto] RDEPENDS in a containerized world

Aaron Cohen aaron at assonance.org
Fri Jul 26 10:32:25 PDT 2019

I'm not sure if this is the proper venue, but I'll send it here hoping for
any insight.

I'm developing a containerized system. Ideally the host will be somewhat
minimal, and most of the functionality of the system will run inside docker
containers.

I have most of this working to some extent now, but am beginning to run
into an issue.

How do I handle runtime dependencies that I "know" are provided by the host?

For example, I have one particular application that requires gpsd at
runtime.

I know that gpsd is installed on the host, so would prefer that it not be
installed again in the docker container for this application.

Do I have to edit the recipe for the application and remove the
RDEPENDS="gpsd" line, or is there some more clever way that I can specify
that the RDEPENDS has been fulfilled for the container that is being built?

Thanks,
Aaron