[yocto] RDEPENDS in a containerized world

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 18:45:17 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:36 AM Aaron Cohen <aaron at assonance.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the proper venue, but I'll send it here hoping for any insight.
>
> I'm developing a containerized system. Ideally the host will be somewhat minimal, and most of the functionality of the system will run inside docker containers.
>
> I have most of this working to some extent now, but am beginning to run into an issue.
>
> How do I handle runtime dependencies that I "know" are provided by the host?
>
> For example, I have one particular application that requires gpsd at runtime.
>
> I know that gpsd is installed on the host, so would prefer that it not be installed again in the docker container for this application.
>
> Do I have to edit the recipe for the application and remove the RDEPENDS="gpsd" line, or is there some more clever way that I can specify that the RDEPENDS has been fulfilled for the container that is being built?

The build-system is constructing a platform image and therefore it
thinks as if it will run on bare-metal, rdeps are for ensuring that it
does not have those dependencies missing. In your case
the images is contained so you have to teach that to the build system.
Maybe via a bbappend remove the runtime dependency and lower the QA
guards to ignore it for given recipe.