[yocto] Integration of Conan Package Manager into the Yocto Project

Alexander Kanavin alex.kanavin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 05:47:34 PDT 2019

Pulling down things from the network in do_install() is not the best
option. Is reproducibility and integrity of such downloads guaranteed? What
about the component licensing, where is that checked (against upstream
changes)? Also, yocto's download caching and mirroring facility is
side-stepped entirely.

The typical 'Yocto way' would be to write a specific conan fetcher for
bitbake, so that you can specify SRC_URI = "conan://..." in recipes:
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/bitbake/lib/bb/fetch2?h=master-next

Generally, if someone is doing system integration with Yocto and has access
to the source code, they might just write actual component recipes for
building from source, as the presented workflow with building via SDK and
artifactory binary uploads is awkward, and all benefits that happen when
yocto is able to build directly from source code are lost.

Regards,
Alex