[yocto] wpewebkit, cog and libgles2

Joshua Watt jpewhacker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 07:02:56 PDT 2019

On 7/16/19 8:43 AM, Andy Pont wrote:
> Ross wrote...
>
>> Well the libwpe build script says this:
>> find_package(EGL REQUIRED)
>> (https://github.com/WebPlatformForEmbedded/libwpe/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt)
>
> I’m confused now as there appears to be two active meta layers that
> support WPE WebKit. The one you reference meta-wpe and the one I was
> originally using meta-webkit (https://github.com/Igalia/meta-webkit)
> as that was the one that included Cog. Is one preferred to the other?

AFAIK, meta-webkit is the one you should be using. Its the one currently
being actively maintained by the WPEWebKit folks.

>> Which suggests that you can't build it without EGL. You should
>> investigate whether EGL is simply an option, or whether it's used as a
>> fundamental part of the rendering. If it's optional then the Mesa
>> recipe can build a software GL implementation, if the latter then
>> you'll need a new browser as software GL is *terrible*.
> I’m not wedded to Cog as a browser. I just need something that can
> support HTML5 and Javascript as it will be running a single page
> application (SPA) served from localhost.

I've used Cog before. Calling it a "brower" is generous.... it doesn't
have any of the normal browers trappings like history, navigation (e.g.
back button, refresh), tabs, etc. It's probably more accurately
described as an HTML5 rendering application, which sounds like all you
really want anyway.

FWIW, I've always been under the assumption that GLES was required for
WPEWebKit.