[yocto] Storing Sstate in S3 success stories?

Chuck Wolber chuckwolber at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 18:18:18 PST 2019

Have you done any wireshark analysis on the traffic? My guess is that the
round trip with network latency is bumping your build time by a factor of
at least 100x.  The state-cache is hammered on continuously, so have
probably introduced a significant bottleneck.

..Ch:W..

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 17:45 Timothy Froehlich <tfroehlich at archsys.io>
wrote:

> I've been spending a bit too long this past week trying to build up a
> reproducable build infrastructure in AWS and I've got very little
> experience with cloud infrastucture and I'm wondering if I'm going in the
> wrong direction. I'm attempting to host my sstate_cache as a mirror in a
> private S3 bucket, and I believe I have everything configured properly,
> including exposing the bucket to http requests, since I can wget files that
> I've previously synced up to the bucket. However if I add in the
> SSTATE_MIRRORS to my build, bitbake slows to a crawl (it's a powerful VM)
> and barely seems to get anything. The EC2 instance is in the same region as
> the S3 bucket, roles have been configured properly to allow access, etc.
>
> I'm not looking for help debugging this, I just want to know whether I'm
> right that hosting my sstate in an S3 bucket should work. I've only been
> able to find one mention of it being done with no reproduction hints.

“I would challenge anyone here to think of a question upon which we once
had a scientific answer, however inadequate, but for which now the best
answer is a religious one."  -Sam Harris