[yocto] Storing Sstate in S3 success stories?

Erik Hoogeveen erik.hoogeveen at outlook.com
Tue Feb 26 00:19:36 PST 2019

Hi Timothy,

The S3 protocol is HTTP(S) based, the overhead per object is quite significant. This is not much of a problem for large files but the sstate_cache contains mostly lots of really small files. I think in this case you’re better of storing the cache on a secondary EBS volume that you can attach as a regular block device to the EC2 instance. You can swtich on deletion protection to make it survive EC2 termination.

Since EBS volumes are quite a bit more expensive than S3 buckets  you could make snapshots to transfer the state between build runs in stead then you can destroy the EBS volume when nothing is running.

Alls the documentation about EBS is here https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AmazonEBS.html

Cheers,
Erik