[yocto] Review request 0/13: Contribute meta-tensorflow to Yocto

Hongxu Jia hongxu.jia at windriver.com
Sat Feb 23 22:33:24 PST 2019

On 2019/2/24 上午1:04, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 7:29 AM Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Thanks for the layer Hongxu. I agree with Steve, it would be good if
>>> you could collaborate with meta-renesas-ai and introduce the layer as
>>> meta-ai under meta-openembedded.
>> Please don't do the meta-openembedded part!
>>
> I would agree to not make it a sub layer under meta-openembedded, but it can
> be hosted on openembedded git infrastructure, I dont see much problem with that
> if thats the case
>
>> I believe that meta-oe is too large to be maintainable and that we need
>> a larger number of smaller layers.
>>
> There is a fine balance to be had, that I have come to realize over years now
> but AI is large enough and segmented enough to have a layer of its own.
>
>> Having tensorflow in its own layer which as a specific purpose and its
>> specific maintainers who understand it is in my view much more
>> desirable and sustainable.
> I think its a good idea to have various AI infras in one layer
> including tensorflow
> unless we have large enough dev community to maintain each of them so I like
> meta-ai conceptually.

I know to create a standalone meta-ai than meta-tensorflow is more
reasonable, that's my initial

layer naming, but

- It will dramatically increase the maintainer burden, so I limit the
scope to the specific framework

   name. There are lots of TODO in tensorflow and I am afraid I do not
have extra attention to

   other AI framework recently.

- Tensorflow is standalone enough, its build system is google's `bazel',
like bitbake, it has special

   rules to build everything from scratch. (I've already sent other
unbazel built recipes to

   meta-openembedded)

- Bazel is built by java, if we do not create sub layer in meta-ai (such
as meta-ai/meta-tensorflow),

   the number of meta-ai layer deps will be more and more along with
other AI frameworks

   are added. For other AI framework customer, depends unused layer is
not a good idea.

- For future AI framework integration, if the framework is huge like
TensorFlow (another well known is

   Facebook's PyTorch), we could create a standalone layer and appoint
special maintainer to maintain it;

   if the framework is small and light, or fundamental algorithm
packages used by multiple frameworks,

   we could create a meta-ai for collection, or directly add them to
meta-openembedded. (For TensorFlow

   integration, I added 11 fundamental recipes to meta-openembedded )

//Hongxu