[yocto] Review request 0/13: Contribute meta-tensorflow to Yocto

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 09:04:48 PST 2019

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 7:29 AM Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-02-22 at 20:49 +0000, Manjukumar Harthikote Matha wrote:
> > >
> > > You might be interested in the yocto layers for tensorflow,
> > > tensorflow-lite and
> > > caffe2 on github here [1]. I'm not part of the team that developed
> > > that work but I
> > > forwarded your announcement to them. Perhaps there is the
> > > opportunity for some
> > > collaboration on the platform independent parts. The maintainer
> > > details are in the
> > > readme.
> > >

> > Thanks for the layer Hongxu. I agree with Steve, it would be good if
> > you could collaborate with meta-renesas-ai and introduce the layer as
> > meta-ai under meta-openembedded.
>
> Please don't do the meta-openembedded part!

I would agree to not make it a sub layer under meta-openembedded, but it can
be hosted on openembedded git infrastructure, I dont see much problem with that
if thats the case

> I believe that meta-oe is too large to be maintainable and that we need
> a larger number of smaller layers.

There is a fine balance to be had, that I have come to realize over years now
but AI is large enough and segmented enough to have a layer of its own.

> Having tensorflow in its own layer which as a specific purpose and its
> specific maintainers who understand it is in my view much more
> desirable and sustainable.

I think its a good idea to have various AI infras in one layer
including tensorflow
unless we have large enough dev community to maintain each of them so I like
meta-ai conceptually.