[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Issues building bcm2835_bootfiles in Thud

Andrei Gherzan andrei at gherzan.ro
Mon Aug 19 07:20:28 PDT 2019

Hello,

On 14/08/2019 17.39, Phillip Marks wrote:
> We are building Thud for a raspberry-pi0+wifi and we've noticed that
> the recipe bcm2835_bootfiles
> under meta-raspberrypi/recipes-bsp/bootfiles is not pulling in the
> proprietary *.dtb modules from the firmware repository. This is
> causing linux-raspberrypi to fail as it tries to build those modules
> and fails on "no target found for bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb". How does
> bcm2835_bootfiles pull in the Broadcom firmware modules and where in
> build does it store them? We don't see them in tmp/work.

Are you using a clean thud setup or updating the kernel to the current
HEAD? You shouldn't hit this issue following the versions use in the
thud branch of meta-raspberrypi. Long story short, the build system
doesn't take advantage of the precompiled dtb files available in the
Raspberry Pi firmware repository. It maintains a list of dtb as a
variable and compiles them while compiling the kernel. I suspect that
you have a bbappend which updates the kernel to current HEAD (includes a
dtb rename backport).

--
Andrei Gherzan
gpg: rsa4096/D4D94F67AD0E9640 | t: @agherzan