[yocto] Whitelist gdbserver

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:51:27 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Jeremy Overesch
<Jeremy.Overesch at millerwelds.com> wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I’m attempting to whitelist gdbserver just for SDK purposes, while keeping
> all other GPLv3 code as incompatible (therefore unbuilt).  However,
> everything I’ve tried still results in gdbserver being removed from my SDK
> and therefore failing to build.
>
> In my local.conf, I have the following line:
>
> INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE = "GPLv3 LGPLv3 AGPLv3"
>
> Through the yocto documentation
> (https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.4/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#license-flag-matching),
> it appears that adding the following *should* work, yet it doesn’t:

I think you are mixing up "LICENSE" and "LICENSE_FLAGS". The two don't
really work together. It's partly explained in:

  https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.4/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#var-LICENSE_FLAGS

See the LICENSE_FLAGS comment which says "This value is independent of
LICENSE and is typically used to mark recipes that might require
additional licenses in order to be used in a commercial product. For
more information, see the "Enabling Commercially Licensed Recipes"
section."

To whitelist a recipe which is being excluded due to
INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE, use WHITELIST_GPL-3.0. For example for
gdbserver, try the following:

  WHITELIST_GPL-3.0 += "gdbserver"