[yocto] YOCTO kernel PF_CAN feature set and socketCAN layer of the shelf?

Mirza Krak mirza.krak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 02:12:05 PDT 2018

On 6 June 2018 at 11:35, Zoran Stojsavljevic
<zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello to YOCTO community,
>
> I am looking into the new CAN FD (CAN Flexible Data rate) protocol. It
> is very similar to classical CAN.
>
> I am wondering the following (I'll ask very basic questions, just to
> see if I am on the right tracks):
> [1] Do YOCTO kernels have CAN drivers left as mandatory drivers in the
> drivers/ tree (CAN drivers exist on kernel.org kernels)?
> [2] If YES, are these drivers enabled by default, or I need to enable
> them? Anybody to quickly refresh me how to manipulate make menuconfig
> in YOCTO tree?

SocketCAN is very hardware specific and you do not mention which
hardware you are using.

> I also need the feature called: SocketCAN. The following questions arise:
> [3] Do we have in the socket I/Fs added PF_CAN protocol family handling?
>      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SocketCAN
> [4] Does added SocketCAN layer exist, which covers this topic? It'll
> be layer on the top of the YOCTO-BSP layer, my best guess. Any
> examples, using such a layer? Or any Open Source example(s) of such a
> layer?

I am not aware of any layers and I do not believe that there is any.
SocketCAN is a Linux kernel feature and there are a set of utils to
use SocketCAN [1] and there seems to be a recipe for can-utils in
meta-oe [2] which should be enough to get you started.

[1]. https://github.com/linux-can/can-utils
[2]. http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipe/24252/

--
Med Vänliga Hälsningar / Best Regards