[yocto] YOCTO kernel PF_CAN feature set and socketCAN layer of the shelf?

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 02:35:51 PDT 2018

Hello to YOCTO community,

I am looking into the new CAN FD (CAN Flexible Data rate) protocol. It
is very similar to classical CAN.

I am wondering the following (I'll ask very basic questions, just to
see if I am on the right tracks):
[1] Do YOCTO kernels have CAN drivers left as mandatory drivers in the
drivers/ tree (CAN drivers exist on kernel.org kernels)?
[2] If YES, are these drivers enabled by default, or I need to enable
them? Anybody to quickly refresh me how to manipulate make menuconfig
in YOCTO tree?

I also need the feature called: SocketCAN. The following questions arise:
[3] Do we have in the socket I/Fs added PF_CAN protocol family handling?
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SocketCAN
[4] Does added SocketCAN layer exist, which covers this topic? It'll
be layer on the top of the YOCTO-BSP layer, my best guess. Any
examples, using such a layer? Or any Open Source example(s) of such a
layer?

Thank you,
Zoran