[yocto] porting gRPC into Yocto

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Jul 5 08:03:01 PDT 2018

On 5 July 2018 at 15:49, Simon Chamlian <simon.chamlian at mpbc.ca> wrote:
> After reading several documents, there seems to be several methods to
> add/remove packages from a build.
> I just want to make sure I am using the correct method that falls into YOCTO
> architecture.
>
> In local.conf file, I can use:
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL_remove = " dropbear"
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " openssh net-snmp "
>
> To remove dropbear and add openssh and net-snmp into image.
>
> Is this the right way of doing it?  Do I use 'DISTRO_FEATURES_remove'  or
> simply ' IMAGE_INSTALL_remove' ?

IMAGE_INSTALL specifies what packages go into the image.
DISTRO_FEATURES is unrelated and are course-grained features that
control how software is built.

Note that to change SSH server there is an IMAGE_FEATURE you can
fiddle instead: remove ssh-server-dropbear and add ssh-server-openssh.

> Does Yocto fetch *.bb files and source files just by adding these commands
> in local.conf or I need more steps to do?

Those commands will impact all images so when you build an image it
will make the changes.  Note that for the "all images" reason it is
recommended that you write  your own image recipe instead of using
core-image-minimal or similar and lots of local.conf tweaks.

Ross