[yocto] Tracking changes in image

Jon Szymaniak jon.szymaniak.foss at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:18:25 PDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 10:13 Bryan Fishell <bryan.fishell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to be able to track different parts of my image, accessible from
> within userspace so I can programmatically (via an environment variable or
> something) what version of my patches have been applied. Ultimately, I want
> to be able to answer questions from the field to know 'what changed' in a
> deployed image. Is there already a method to do this? For example, our
> project has u-boot, a zImage and rootfs. Is there a way to tell the patched
> version (from my layer) for each of those so I can connect what is in the
> field to what is in my layer in version control?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --

Take a look at the documentation for the Build History feature. I think
that may be a good starting point for you.

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5.1/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#maintaining-build-output-quality

Ultimately, the Build History provides you with the "what changed" in terms
of build artifacts, which you can then trace back to individual packages
and recipes.

On the other hand, version control of your own Yocto/OE layers (which has
nothing to do with build history) should capture the "why was X changed".
 Of course, this requires that your organization uses version control in a
disciplined manner for any layer metadata they maintain.

Between these two, you should be able to develop a pretty clear picture of
the "what and why" with respect to changes in an image.