[yocto] Errors building with Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)

Alex Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Sun Oct 1 01:52:09 PDT 2017

On 01/10/2017 09:30, Alex Lennon wrote:

>>> Hi Brian,
>>>
>>> I have been trying the same thing attempting to build Automotive Grade
>>> Linux from Linux for Windows subsystem.
>>> We have many adopter of AGL who also receive Windows PC from their IT
>>> department. While VM work, they impose a serious limitation on memory
>>> and CPU usage.
>>
>> Does anyone else think doing embedded linux development on windows
>> machines is a ridiculous situation, and needs to be discussed with
>> companies management? IT departments should either support product
>> R&D work (because at the end of the day that is where the company
>> makes money), or stay out of the way and let engineers self-manage
>> their computers, including installing weird operating systems.
>
> +1
>
> I suspect that technical people saying technical things have very
> little impact on upstream bean-counters.
>
> If one was to, say, quantify the amount of time and therefore money
> the entire team are putting into wrangling the Windows machines into
> doing a half baked job of building Linux versus the capital cost and
> (presumably negligible) cost of IT support, with a commentary on
> limiting any security impact, I suspect some spanking new Linux boxes
> would arrive quite quickly

That said I don't want to sound negative about the effort.

I've been following bits of the thread and technically what the guys are
doing here is pretty cool stuff.

I do feel that ultimately we're still using virtualisation though,
whether type I or type II, whether Docker with VirtualBox hidden away or
with the Win10 subystem.

My feeling is the I/O throughput, and possibly the process forking
issue, is going to ruin performance but that doesn't stop me wanting to
give it a go :)

In fact for a long time I've wanted a scalable cloud server I can bring
up, pull a Yocto docker image into, and do a build. Not cost effective
at the minute but perhaps in the future. And I think there are great
benefits to having that kind of build control management system in place.

Cheers,

Alex