[yocto] Errors building with Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Mon Oct 2 13:48:58 PDT 2017

Alex,

Yes, ideally I could just get a Linux laptop and do that for development.  Unfortunately, that's not an option for me.  Honestly, if WSL works well I wouldn't mind it as a working solution.  I started trying this more out of curiosity if it would do anything.  I was quite surprised how much did work with very little modification.

With the few changes I have already mentioned, I was able to build my complete image.  I then started working on building my development image to create and SDK that has gdb and tools for the Eclipse plugin.  That built all the way to rootfs, then failed with a blank error message.  I then tried with my VM, and the development image failed in the same manner.  I recently updated to a more recent Yocto branch, so I think I broke something with my development image build (unrelated to WSL) that I need to go back and fix.

The biggest issue I had with build times was with antivirus tools.  I hadn't setup the Windows antivirus to ignore the WSL working directory, so it was scanning every new file created and modified.  Once I told it to ignore the WSL working directory, the build times were comparable to under VMWare.

I don't know how far I'll take this, but I thought others would be interested in the results.

Bryan