[yocto] Errors building with Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)

Alex Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Sun Oct 1 01:30:40 PDT 2017

On 01/10/2017 09:20, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 09/29/2017 05:01 PM, Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) wrote:
>>> Due to what our IT department can support, I am issued a Windows
>>> laptop for development.  In the past I have used VMWare to make a
>>> Linux virtual machine for my Yocto Project based image builds and
>>> application development. We are starting to get Windows 10 laptops
>>> so I am evaluating doing my builds using the Windows Subsystem for
>>> Linux (WSL) by building a poky/morty image.  Overall it seems to be
>>> working. I've had an issue that I've worked through and other issues
>>> that I'm not quite sure what is going on.
>>>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> I have been trying the same thing attempting to build Automotive Grade
>> Linux from Linux for Windows subsystem.
>> We have many adopter of AGL who also receive Windows PC from their IT
>> department. While VM work, they impose a serious limitation on memory
>> and CPU usage.
>
> Does anyone else think doing embedded linux development on windows
> machines is a ridiculous situation, and needs to be discussed with
> companies management? IT departments should either support product R&D
> work (because at the end of the day that is where the company makes
> money), or stay out of the way and let engineers self-manage their
> computers, including installing weird operating systems.

+1

I suspect that technical people saying technical things have very little
impact on upstream bean-counters.

If one was to, say, quantify the amount of time and therefore money the
entire team are putting into wrangling the Windows machines into doing a
half baked job of building Linux versus the capital cost and (presumably
negligible) cost of IT support, with a commentary on limiting any
security impact, I suspect some spanking new Linux boxes would arrive
quite quickly

Cheers,

Alex