[yocto] Errors building with Windows Subsystem for Linux (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Sun Oct 1 01:20:18 PDT 2017

On 09/29/2017 05:01 PM, Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) wrote:
>> Due to what our IT department can support, I am issued a Windows laptop for development.  In the past I have used VMWare to make a Linux virtual machine for my Yocto Project based image builds and application development.  We are starting to get Windows 10 laptops so I am evaluating doing my builds using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) by building a poky/morty image.  Overall it seems to be working.  I've had an issue that I've worked through and other issues that I'm not quite sure what is going on.
>>
> Hi Brian,
>
> I have been trying the same thing attempting to build Automotive Grade
> Linux from Linux for Windows subsystem.
> We have many adopter of AGL who also receive Windows PC from their IT
> department. While VM work, they impose a serious limitation on memory
> and CPU usage.

Does anyone else think doing embedded linux development on windows
machines is a ridiculous situation, and needs to be discussed with
companies management? IT departments should either support product R&D
work (because at the end of the day that is where the company makes
money), or stay out of the way and let engineers self-manage their
computers, including installing weird operating systems.

Alex