[yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] Proposal: dealing with language-specific build tools/dependency management tools

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Fri Mar 10 06:48:39 PST 2017

On 03/10/2017 04:30 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> When integrating the CHICKEN Scheme support onto the Yocto Project we
> dealt it using their installation tool but making the package of
> individual packages (eggs, in this specific case) as individual
> recipes. We went further and automated the recipe generation and this
> made it quite easy to maintain in long term.
>
> Take a look at:
>
> https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-chicken

Thanks, even though my Scheme-fu isn't great :)

I'd like to avoid generating entire separate recipes though, because
that implies your custom-written tool would be figuring out where the
dependency source came from in the first place, and what are its own
dependencies, when creating the recipe, which can be tricky,
breakage-prone guesswork.

I want to use existing tools (like 'npm install') for getting the stuff
from the network - we don't really need full recipes, we just want to
know the licenses of the dependencies, and, if possible, lock them down
to a specific version.

Alex