[yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] Proposal: dealing with language-specific build tools/dependency management tools

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Fri Mar 10 06:30:11 PST 2017

Hello Alexander,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Alexander Kanavin
<alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> The new generation of programming languages (think node.js, Go, Rust) is a
> poor fit for the Yocto build model which follows the traditional Unix model.
> In particular, those new development environments have no problem with
> 'grabbing random stuff from the Internet' as a part of development and build
> process. However, Yocto has very strict rules about the build steps and what
> they can and can not do, and also a strict enforcement of license and
> version checks for every component that gets built. Those two models clash,
> and this is a proposal of how they could be reconciled.

When integrating the CHICKEN Scheme support onto the Yocto Project we
dealt it using their installation tool but making the package of
individual packages (eggs, in this specific case) as individual
recipes. We went further and automated the recipe generation and this
made it quite easy to maintain in long term.

Take a look at:

https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-chicken