[yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] Proposal: dealing with language-specific build tools/dependency management tools

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Fri Mar 10 06:58:15 PST 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Alexander Kanavin
<alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 03/10/2017 04:30 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>>
>> When integrating the CHICKEN Scheme support onto the Yocto Project we
>> dealt it using their installation tool but making the package of
>> individual packages (eggs, in this specific case) as individual
>> recipes. We went further and automated the recipe generation and this
>> made it quite easy to maintain in long term.
>>
>> Take a look at:
>>
>> https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-chicken
>

> Thanks, even though my Scheme-fu isn't great :)
>
> I'd like to avoid generating entire separate recipes though, because that
> implies your custom-written tool would be figuring out where the dependency
> source came from in the first place, and what are its own dependencies, when
> creating the recipe, which can be tricky, breakage-prone guesswork.

In fact not; as you generate the recipes for the dependencies, it goes
recursively and is always good.

> I want to use existing tools (like 'npm install') for getting the stuff from
> the network - we don't really need full recipes, we just want to know the
> licenses of the dependencies, and, if possible, lock them down to a specific
> version.

Well we initially thought this would suffice but consider a security
flaw. As many apps may be using different versions of same package it
becomes a nightmare to figure which ones are affected. If using
dependencies it is fine, for free.