[yocto] any rumblings about a newer YP powerpc reference board than mpc8315e-rdb?

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Fri Mar 3 06:29:23 PST 2017

Robert wrote...

> > I would look at one of the P10xx series QorIQ boards.  Digi-Key list
> > the P1021RDB-PC-ND and P1024RDB-PA-ND as being active parts which
> > are either single or dual e500 cores.
>
>   i would start with the machine definition files in the meta-fsl-ppc
> layer:
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-ppc/tree/conf/machine
>
> and see what looks promising. however, IIRC, one of the properties of
> a YP reference board is that it shouldn't be stupid, crazy expensive,
> no? so anything climbing above $500 (USD) might not be an option.
> people used to spending $60 for a beaglebone black might have a
> seizure to suddenly realize they need $500 for a powerpc reference
> board.

Using Digi-Key UK as my reference, they list the MPC8308-RDB-ND and
MPC8313E-RDBC-ND as being available for less than £250 which makes them sub
$300 which is probably the best price I have seen for Power Architecture
reference boards.

Granted, they are still more expensive than a BBB, RPi or something like
that but cheap compared to >$2,000 reference boards we used to have to buy
in the old days!

-Andy