[yocto] any rumblings about a newer YP powerpc reference board than mpc8315e-rdb?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Mar 3 06:53:14 PST 2017

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Andy Pont wrote:

> Robert wrote...
>
> > > I would look at one of the P10xx series QorIQ boards.  Digi-Key list
> > > the P1021RDB-PC-ND and P1024RDB-PA-ND as being active parts which
> > > are either single or dual e500 cores.
> >
> >   i would start with the machine definition files in the meta-fsl-ppc
> > layer:
> >
> > http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-ppc/tree/conf/machine
> >
> > and see what looks promising. however, IIRC, one of the properties of
> > a YP reference board is that it shouldn't be stupid, crazy expensive,
> > no? so anything climbing above $500 (USD) might not be an option.
> > people used to spending $60 for a beaglebone black might have a
> > seizure to suddenly realize they need $500 for a powerpc reference
> > board.
>
> Using Digi-Key UK as my reference, they list the MPC8308-RDB-ND and
> MPC8313E-RDBC-ND as being available for less than £250 which makes
> them sub $300 which is probably the best price I have seen for Power
> Architecture reference boards.
>
> Granted, they are still more expensive than a BBB, RPi or something
> like that but cheap compared to >$2,000 reference boards we used to
> have to buy in the old days!

  in canada, distributors are charging over $400 (CAD) for either of
those, which you'd normally think would be outside the bounds for a YP
reference board, but it may be that that's what you have to accept for
even an inexpensive PPC dev kit.

  a better question is, what PPC platform are people working with
these days? it seems pointless to select an older technology just
because it's cheaper, only to have no one buy it because it's useless.
so who out there is working with powerpc, and what PPC platform would
have enough general interest that it would be worth making the YP
reference board?

  or, perhaps (god forbid) there's no actual point in even *having* a
powerpc reference board?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca