[yocto] any rumblings about a newer YP powerpc reference board than mpc8315e-rdb?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 06:14:00 PST 2017

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Andy Pont wrote:
>
> > Ross Burton wrote...

> > >Do you have any suggestions?
> >
> > If we are being strictly pedantic then is isn't PowerPC (at least in
> > the world that is Freescale / NXP / Whoever they are this week).
> >
> > I would look at one of the P10xx series QorIQ boards.  Digi-Key list
> > the P1021RDB-PC-ND and P1024RDB-PA-ND as being active parts which
> > are either single or dual e500 cores.
>
>   i would start with the machine definition files in the meta-fsl-ppc
> layer:
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-ppc/tree/conf/machine
>
> and see what looks promising. however, IIRC, one of the properties of
> a YP reference board is that it shouldn't be stupid, crazy expensive,
> no? so anything climbing above $500 (USD) might not be an option.

Correct. Being around 100 bucks USD was always our bar in the past, since
even if you can buy one .. not being able to afford it doesn't help.

Not that we expect a lot of people are out buying these reference boards,
but even companies were balking at buying expensive options ... so forget
individuals ever getting one.

Bruce

> people used to spending $60 for a beaglebone black might have a
> seizure to suddenly realize they need $500 for a powerpc reference
> board.
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"