[yocto] any rumblings about a newer YP powerpc reference board than mpc8315e-rdb?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Mar 3 06:07:06 PST 2017

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Andy Pont wrote:

> Ross Burton wrote...
>
> >> it seems of limited value for YP to have a powerpc reference board,
> >> mpc8315e-rdb, that is essentially impossible to procure. is there any
> >> effort being made to look around for a newer powerpc reference board
> >> that people could actually buy?
> >
> >Do you have any suggestions?
>
> If we are being strictly pedantic then is isn't PowerPC (at least in
> the world that is Freescale / NXP / Whoever they are this week).
>
> I would look at one of the P10xx series QorIQ boards.  Digi-Key list
> the P1021RDB-PC-ND and P1024RDB-PA-ND as being active parts which
> are either single or dual e500 cores.

  i would start with the machine definition files in the meta-fsl-ppc
layer:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-ppc/tree/conf/machine

and see what looks promising. however, IIRC, one of the properties of
a YP reference board is that it shouldn't be stupid, crazy expensive,
no? so anything climbing above $500 (USD) might not be an option.
people used to spending $60 for a beaglebone black might have a
seizure to suddenly realize they need $500 for a powerpc reference
board.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca