[yocto] New software layer for the barebox bootloader

Dennis Menschel menschel-d at posteo.de
Mon Dec 4 13:04:58 PST 2017

Hi Enrico,

Am 04.12.2017 um 15:22 schrieb Enrico Joerns:
> [...]
>
> First of all, I also have thank you and say that it's great work you've
> done there! At the moment there are some recipes around and it is really
> worth concentrating the efforts. You did quite a lot work on writing and
> documenting recipes.
>
> Barebox as a bootloader is a really fundamental piece of software to
> bring up a board. Thus, from my point of view, we should push the
> recipes forward to oe-core or at least meta-oe.
>
> People that currently have their own layers providing barebox might tend
> to keep their own layers as long as they do not see any advantages in
> using the meta-barebox layer.
> Because each added meta-layer also means a bit more complexity, having a
> layer for more or less a single component (that is also supported by
> other layers) might retain people from using it and this also increases
> the threshold for using barebox at all.
>
> Having barebox support in oe-core will allow people to throw away all
> their custom solutions, will concentrate efforts on a single (set of)
> recipes, will allow tighter integration with other components, and the
> most important; it will ease using it and give the developers the
> opportunity to choose their bootloader more freely, depending on their
> individual hardware and software requirements.
>
> What do you think about that?
>
> [...]

I would also love to see barebox in one of the official
Yocto/OpenEmbedded layers. As already stated in the FAQ section of my
meta-barebox layer's documentation:

>> One of the goals of the meta-barebox layer is to define a clear and
>> stable interface that covers the most important features of barebox.
>> Such an interface still seems to be missing in the Yocto/OpenEmbedded
>> landscape, which also prevents barebox from gaining popularity and
>> being included in one of the official Yocto/OE layers. You can look
>> at meta-barebox as an attempt to speed up this unification process.

Integrating barebox into either oe-core or meta-oe (and thus having an
official set of BitBake variables to configure barebox) would IMHO also
increase the acceptance for BSP vendors to add barebox related variables
into their machine configuration files. That way, BSP support for both
u-boot and barebox could coexist in the same configuration files without
the need to extend them via additional layers.

Best regards,
Dennis Menschel