[yocto] New software layer for the barebox bootloader

Enrico Joerns ejo at pengutronix.de
Mon Dec 4 06:22:34 PST 2017

Hi,

I would like to pick this thread up to start a discussion on it.

On 07/10/2017 07:30 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On 7/10/17 9:51 AM, Dennis Menschel wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I have created a new software layer named meta-barebox that provides
>> support for the barebox bootloader.
>>

> Thanks, I see there are many other layers providing barebox of their
> own. Next step is to coverge them so that they are can use meta-barebox.
>
>> The layer has already been added to the OpenEmbedded Layer Index:
>> https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layer/meta-barebox/
>>
>> The layer features its own reference manual that describes the interface
>> of meta-barebox and provides a usage example.
>> Last but not least, it also answers the question why I have created a
>> separate layer for the barebox bootloader.
>> The reference manual can be found here:
>> https://github.com/menschel-d/meta-barebox/blob/master/doc/ref-manual.md
>>
>> Have fun!

First of all, I also have thank you and say that it's great work you've
done there! At the moment there are some recipes around and it is really
worth concentrating the efforts. You did quite a lot work on writing and
documenting recipes.

Barebox as a bootloader is a really fundamental piece of software to
bring up a board. Thus, from my point of view, we should push the
recipes forward to oe-core or at least meta-oe.

People that currently have their own layers providing barebox might tend
to keep their own layers as long as they do not see any advantages in
using the meta-barebox layer.
Because each added meta-layer also means a bit more complexity, having a
layer for more or less a single component (that is also supported by
other layers) might retain people from using it and this also increases
the threshold for using barebox at all.

Having barebox support in oe-core will allow people to throw away all
their custom solutions, will concentrate efforts on a single (set of)
recipes, will allow tighter integration with other components, and the
most important; it will ease using it and give the developers the
opportunity to choose their bootloader more freely, depending on their
individual hardware and software requirements.

What do you think about that?

Best regards

Enrico

FTR: 'Our' version of the barebox recipe is

https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/meta-ptx/tree/recipes-bsp/barebox/barebox.inc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |