[yocto] Fwd: [DNF YOCTO clarifications] smart was replaced with dnf in Yocto 2.3

Jussi Kukkonen jussi.kukkonen at intel.com
Thu Aug 24 03:40:21 PDT 2017

On 24 August 2017 at 10:33, Zoran Stojsavljevic <
zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Jussi,
>
> I would like to thank you very much for the useful reply. It was a bit
different with me, but most boiled down as you said/explained (the
difference are in client/server IP addresses, but everything else is almost
the same - I guess, I do not have complete set of .rpms on my server side).

> I issued the following comand on client (qemux86-64): dnf list all | wc
-l, and got the following response:
> Repository 'oe-packages' is missing name in configuration, using id.
> Last metadata expiration check: 0:42:56 ago on Thu Aug 24 06:13:31 2017
UTC
> 7909
>
> Regarding the command's answer, I have two questions to ask: one easy,
and one tough. ;-)

> Easy one. What is the reason for this message: Repository 'oe-packages'
is missing name in configuration, using id???

I'm not a yum/dnf expert at all but the error seems to be saying that
oe-packages.repo is missing a line like "name =  OpenEmbedded packages".

> Tough one: 7909 packages overall on server. Could you (YOCTO
maintainers), please, keep DNF (for .rpm packages) onwards indefinitely in
YOCTO, and make/create master YOCTO download servers, the same what Fedora
distro does for almost two decades (with YUM, prior DNF)?

> The positive answer on the second question will make (for many thousand
people using .rpms in YOCTO) life much easier, won't it?!

No. Yocto is not an operating system, it's a toolset that can be used to
build many wildly different operating systems. An rpm repo would only be
compatible with one of those OSes.

If a Yocto user builds and maintains a specific OS with Yocto, it might
make sense for them to maintain rpm repos for that OS. It does not make
sense for Yocto project.

 - Jussi