[yocto] Yocto Project Status WW37

Jolley, Stephen K stephen.k.jolley at intel.com
Fri Sep 9 08:18:41 PDT 2016

Current Dev Position: YP 2.2 M4 (M3 Building rc1)

Next Deadline: YP 2.2 M4 which will be Oct. 3rd (5:00pm GMT)

SWAT team rotation: Alejandro -> Jussi

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

*        M3 has continued to be problematic:

o   The qemuppc networking issue looks like it was a TCG bug in qemu which was fixed in qemu 2.7.0.

o   The upgraded qemu had build issues and didn't pass runtime sanity tests due to new dmesg warnings

o   The "Killed" smart failures turned out to be OOM issues, particular on x86_64 which we fixed

o   After fixing the OOM issues, we found other weird smart failures. We have a hack in place to work around this with small time delays so as not to delay M3 any further.

o   There were several regressions identified in the runqemu changes which we ended up queuing patches for

o   There was a significant performance degradation in the build time and disk usage of the kernel after the 4.8 kernel merged. This was tracked down to misconfiguration of the kernel and has been fixed, solving the buildtime and space regressions.

o   The gtkdoc changes were found to cause too much of a build time degradation, even disabled. We fixed the performance of the disabled case in the end and merged with them disabled by default for now.

*        With all the above either with fixes or workarounds in place, we now have M3-rc1 finally building and hope it will be good enough to make it into QA.

*        We are seeing a downward turn in bug tracking metrics which is what we hope to see at this point in the cycle so that is at least some good news. It isn't quite at the level we started the release at though.

*        We will try and run a krogoth test build as soon as M3 is dealt with as I know several people are waiting on things to merge there. Armin should have most things queued (thanks!).

Key YP 2.2 Dates:

*        YP 2.2 M3 release would be: 9/9/16

*        YP 2.2 M4 cut off would be: 10/3/16

*        YP 2.2 M4 release would be: 10/28/16

Tracking Metrics:

            WDD 2589 (last week 2651)

(https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

Key Status Links for YP:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.2_Status

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.2_Schedule

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.2_Features

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you'd like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley
Yocto Project Program Manager
INTEL, MS JF1-255, 2111 N.E. 25th Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124
*   Work Telephone:        (503) 712-0534
*    Cell:               (208) 244-4460
* Email:                            stephen.k.jolley at intel.com