[yocto] Deciding between yocto kernels and soc vendor kernels

Davis Roman davis.roman84 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:32:43 PDT 2016

Hello Yocto Community,

As I understand it, the Yocto project team cherry-picks certain kernel
versions from kernel.org to be dedicated as Yocto Project Linux Kernels
that have support for the officially supported arm target boards.

However, if I'm using a silicon vendor, such as nxp, for a custom i.mx6
board then I'll need to stick with nxp's kernel but the problem that I see
here is that they may not support that version of kernel for too long.

Are there any best practices or advice when it comes to how to avoid
getting locked into an evil vendor kernel ?

Thank you,

Davis