[yocto] Deciding between yocto kernels and soc vendor kernels

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:46:02 PDT 2016

> On Oct 20, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Davis Roman <davis.roman84 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Yocto Community,
>
> As I understand it, the Yocto project team cherry-picks certain kernel versions from kernel.org <http://kernel.org/> to be dedicated as Yocto Project Linux Kernels that have support for the officially supported arm target boards.
>
> However, if I'm using a silicon vendor, such as nxp, for a custom i.mx6 board then I'll need to stick with nxp's kernel but the problem that I see here is that they may not support that version of kernel for too long.
>
> Are there any best practices or advice when it comes to how to avoid getting locked into an evil vendor kernel ?

You can try to check if needed support for the given SOC is upstreamed. Sometimes, vendor kernel have additional stuff but the base support is upstream, if you are lucky
and dont need the things which are on top of such base port then you can try switching to kernel.org kernel and unshackles yourself.

Secondly, you can work with vendor to upstream the needed bits at priority, may be helping out with testing or whatever you can.

if vendor kernels are having too much stuff that is essential to support the basic stuff on chip then you are at the vendors behest for support, there may be
some OSVs that can help may be or some other consultancies.