[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Linux Kernel In Temporary Source Code Directory Is Not a git repository"

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 07:19:20 PST 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Thomas A. F. Thorne MEng AUS MIET <
Thomas.Thorne at net2edge.com> wrote:

> I am having some trouble attempting to create Kernel patches as per the
> Yocto Project Development Manual, section 5.10.3. Creating the Patch:
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.1.1/dev-manual/dev-
> manual.html#creating-the-patch
>
> When I get to the stage that says:
>
> Stage and commit your changes: These Git commands display the modified
> file, stage it, and then commit the file:
> $ git status
>
> I get the response:
>
> $ git status
> fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
>

> I have a rpi-layer (taken from ) which I have generated binaries for the
> RasperyPi 3 from.  I wanted to modify a couple of kernel modules to add
> support for a Quectel EC25 module.  I located the relevant module code and
> modified it in my temporary source code area: ~/work/rpi-layer/build/tmp/
> work/cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-libc-
> headers/4.4-r0/linux-4.4/drivers/usb/serial

You shouldn't be modifying code in that directory, it is for the kernel ->
libc headers
only.

The actual kernel source is in work-shared/<your machine>/kernel-source/

If you are trying to modify a header that other applications / recipes
need, then that also
shouldn't be done in the libc-headers, it should be done in the source tree
and point those
applications at work-shared for their include/build needs.

Bruce

> I guess there is something goofy about the way the raspberrypi layer works
> and this is actually a special kernel build which is not held in a git
> repository?  If that is the case, why can I a .gitignore file in the
> ..linux-libc-headers/4.4-r0/linux-4.4 directory?
>
> I could create a git patch by hand for the next stage but it would be much
> easier to modify a clone of the correct repository.
>
> Can anyone spot my obvious mistake?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Thomas A. F. Thorne MEng. AUS MIET
> *Software Engineer*
>
> *NET2EDGE*
>
> Tel: +44 3450 130 030 <+443450130030>
> Email: Thomas.Thorne at Net2Edge.com
> Web: http://www.Net2Edge.com/
>
> Net2Edge Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (Company No.
> 2438435, VAT No. GB 537553821) Passfield Oak, Liphook, Hampshire, GU30 7RL.
> This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person
> or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information, or
> take any action in reliance of it. Any views expressed in this message are
> those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
> them to be the views of any organisation or employer. If you have received
> this message in error, do not open any attachment but please notify the
> sender (above) and delete this message from your system. Please rely on
> your own virus check. Although all outbound mail is checked for viruses, no
> responsibility is taken by the sender for any damage rising out of any bug
> or virus infection.

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"