[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Linux Kernel In Temporary Source Code Directory Is Not a git repository"

Thomas A. F. Thorne MEng AUS MIET Thomas.Thorne at Net2Edge.com
Thu Nov 10 05:10:25 PST 2016

I am having some trouble attempting to create Kernel patches as per the
Yocto Project Development Manual, section 5.10.3. Creating the Patch:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.1.1/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#creating-the-patch

When I get to the stage that says:

> Stage and commit your changes: These Git commands display the modified
> file, stage it, and then commit the file:
> $ git status
I get the response:

$ git status
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

I have a rpi-layer (taken from ) which I have generated binaries for the
RasperyPi 3 from.  I wanted to modify a couple of kernel modules to add
support for a Quectel EC25 module.  I located the relevant module code
and modified it in my temporary source code area:
~/work/rpi-layer/build/tmp/work/cortexa7hf-neon-vfpv4-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-libc-headers/4.4-r0/linux-4.4/drivers/usb/serial

I guess there is something goofy about the way the raspberrypi layer
works and this is actually a special kernel build which is not held in a
git repository?  If that is the case, why can I a .gitignore file in the
..linux-libc-headers/4.4-r0/linux-4.4 directory?

I could create a git patch by hand for the next stage but it would be
much easier to modify a clone of the correct repository.

Can anyone spot my obvious mistake?

Regards,

--
Thomas A. F. Thorne MEng. AUS MIET
*Software Engineer*

*NET2EDGE*

Tel: +44 3450 130 030 <tel:+443450130030>
Email: Thomas.Thorne at Net2Edge.com <mailto:Thomas.Thorne at Net2Edge.com>
Web: http://www.Net2Edge.com/ <http://www.Net2Edge.com>

Net2Edge Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (Company No.
2438435, VAT No. GB 537553821) Passfield Oak, Liphook, Hampshire, GU30
7RL. This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the
person or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the
information, or take any action in reliance of it. Any views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender specifically states them to be the views of any organisation or
employer. If you have received this message in error, do not open any
attachment but please notify the sender (above) and delete this message
from your system. Please rely on your own virus check. Although all
outbound mail is checked for viruses, no responsibility is taken by the
sender for any damage rising out of any bug or virus infection.