[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi][Question] How to build an hwup image for raspberrypi3

Andrei Gherzan andrei at gherzan.ro
Thu May 19 07:39:14 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 02:15:22PM +0200, piotr.lewicki wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to build a Yocto image for raspberrypi3.
> I'm using only two layers:
> - poky (krogoth: rev eff84a76acea1a0842194106a66684511f409842)
> - meta-raspberrypi (master: rev 9912d38e97671704822d1aa05312a0439cb650d3)
>
> I have built it by cloning both layers from git (and changing poky branch),
> then I sourced poky (source poky/oe-init-build-env), added meta-raspberrypi
> layer in conf/bblayers.conf and in conf/local.conf changed MACHINE to
> raspberrypi3.

I just tested the same revisions as you mentioned and the board boot for
me. How do you test the board? Over serial?

If you are using serial I suspecte you are not setting the serial
console. if you are using tty1 (hdmi) you need to add the specific
console argument to cmdline.

> Then I have built "rpi-hwup-image" using bitbake and dd'd it to an SD card.
>
> Unfortunately rpi-hwup-image does not work on raspberry pi 3.
> Boot screen halts when 4 raspberry logos show up and that's it.
>
> On the other hand I have tried the same SD card with raspberry pi 2 and it
> booted up (!?).
>
> Can you tell me if there is still support for meta-raspberrypi layer?
> I found that this layer does not follow Yocto project naming convention for
> branches (I think that the latest is "jethro", but nothing newer besides
> "master").
> Does this mean that there is no stable and up-to-date branch apart from
> master?

What do you mean rpi is not following the yocto project naming
convention? It does miss a branch for the last yocto release but there
are already for the old ones.