[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi][Question] How to build an hwup image for raspberrypi3

piotr.lewicki piotr.lewicki at elfin.de
Thu May 19 08:26:15 PDT 2016

On 19.05.2016 16:39, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 02:15:22PM +0200, piotr.lewicki wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm trying to build a Yocto image for raspberrypi3.
>> I'm using only two layers:
>> - poky (krogoth: rev eff84a76acea1a0842194106a66684511f409842)
>> - meta-raspberrypi (master: rev 9912d38e97671704822d1aa05312a0439cb650d3)
>>
>> I have built it by cloning both layers from git (and changing poky branch),
>> then I sourced poky (source poky/oe-init-build-env), added meta-raspberrypi
>> layer in conf/bblayers.conf and in conf/local.conf changed MACHINE to
>> raspberrypi3.
>>
> I just tested the same revisions as you mentioned and the board boot for
> me. How do you test the board? Over serial?
>
> If you are using serial I suspecte you are not setting the serial
> console. if you are using tty1 (hdmi) you need to add the specific
> console argument to cmdline.
I'm using hdmi. Where can I find those console arguments?

>> Then I have built "rpi-hwup-image" using bitbake and dd'd it to an SD card.
>>
>> Unfortunately rpi-hwup-image does not work on raspberry pi 3.
>> Boot screen halts when 4 raspberry logos show up and that's it.
>>
>> On the other hand I have tried the same SD card with raspberry pi 2 and it
>> booted up (!?).
>>
>> Can you tell me if there is still support for meta-raspberrypi layer?
>> I found that this layer does not follow Yocto project naming convention for
>> branches (I think that the latest is "jethro", but nothing newer besides
>> "master").
>> Does this mean that there is no stable and up-to-date branch apart from
>> master?
>>
> What do you mean rpi is not following the yocto project naming
> convention? It does miss a branch for the last yocto release but there
> are already for the old ones.
Maybe I explained that wrong, but I've noticed that it's missing krogoth
branch.
I think that if something like this occurs users are a little bit
confused and have to choose between old branch (potentially outdated)
and a master branch (potentially unstable).