[yocto] packages with PKGSIZE 0

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon Mar 7 13:51:13 PST 2016

On 7 March 2016 at 21:46, Bhanagay, Sagar <sagar.bhanagay at hpe.com> wrote:

> I was going through the list of packages installed in the image (as per
> the manifest file).
>
> I noticed that metadata information for these packages is present at -
>
> */build/tmp/sysroots/NAME/pkgdata/runtime/*
>

> Now I do notice that rarely for a few packages mentioned in the manifest
> list, the corresponding metadata file is not present here.
>
> Also sometimes, though the file is present, it says “PKGSIZE_pkgname: 0”
>
> Example: PKGSIZE_packagegroup-base-ipv6: 0
>

> What are these 0 size packages that manifest says are part of the image?

They're called metapackages: they exist as packages but don't actually
install any files.  They're used to pull in other packages through
dependencies.  packagegroup-base-ipv6 is a bad example as it actually only
pulls in one other package, but packagegroup-base-bluetooth is a good
example as installing that causes about 15 kernel module packages to be
pulled in (to enable bluetooth support).

Ross

Ross