[yocto] packages with PKGSIZE 0

Bhanagay, Sagar sagar.bhanagay at hpe.com
Mon Mar 7 14:07:02 PST 2016

I see!
This is good information, Ross.
Truly appreciate the insight.

Thanks
~Sagar

From: Burton, Ross [mailto:ross.burton at intel.com]
Sent: Monday, March 7, 2016 1:51 PM
To: Bhanagay, Sagar
Cc: yocto at yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [yocto] packages with PKGSIZE 0

On 7 March 2016 at 21:46, Bhanagay, Sagar <sagar.bhanagay at hpe.com<mailto:sagar.bhanagay at hpe.com>> wrote:
I was going through the list of packages installed in the image (as per the manifest file).
I noticed that metadata information for these packages is present at -
/build/tmp/sysroots/NAME/pkgdata/runtime/

Now I do notice that rarely for a few packages mentioned in the manifest list, the corresponding metadata file is not present here.
Also sometimes, though the file is present, it says “PKGSIZE_pkgname: 0”
Example: PKGSIZE_packagegroup-base-ipv6: 0

What are these 0 size packages that manifest says are part of the image?

They're called metapackages: they exist as packages but don't actually install any files.  They're used to pull in other packages through dependencies.  packagegroup-base-ipv6 is a bad example as it actually only pulls in one other package, but packagegroup-base-bluetooth is a good example as installing that causes about 15 kernel module packages to be pulled in (to enable bluetooth support).

Ross

Ross