[yocto] Per image customizations

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 7 13:47:54 PDT 2016

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 08:57:24 Edward Wingate wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Paul Eggleton
>
> <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Let's clarify that for the benefit of others reading along - you
> > absolutely
> > *can* have multiple bbappends per recipe. To answer the original question
> > though, no you cannot have bbappends conditionally applied based on what
> > image is being built - you cannot have other recipes built differently
> > based on the image being built *period*. Other than what gets shared via
> > the sysroot, recipes are largely independent of eachother, and that's by
> > design.
>
> Thank you, I will abandon that line of inquiry.
>
> So I now have recipes that attempt to overwrite inittab with their own
> custom version.  These individual recipes are included in different
> images and have DEPENDS += " sysvinit-inittab" in them.  However, the
> resulting image still has the original inittab from sysvinit-inittab
> recipe, not the custom inittab in my new recipes.
>
> My recipes look like this now:
>
> LICENSE = "BSD"
> LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://LICENSE;md5=9bea9267288f79f074b2e000d3cf6412"
> SRC_URI = "file://LICENSE file://inittab-imageX"
> S = "${WORKDIR}"
> DEPENDS += " sysvinit-inittab"
>
> FILES_${PN} = "/etc/inittab"
>
> do_install () {
>     install -d ${D}${sysconfdir}
>     install -m 0644 -D ${S}/inittab-imageX ${D}${sysconfdir}/inittab
> }
>
> Is there something more I'm missing?  Thanks.

So what this will give you is alternative packages to be installed instead of
sysvinit-inittab in your image. Have you verified (by way of the image
manifest written next to the image file) that this package is actually being
installed? What steps have you taken to ensure that it does get installed in
preference to sysvinit-inittab?

Cheers,
Paul

--