[yocto] Per image customizations

Edward Wingate edwingate8 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:57:24 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Let's clarify that for the benefit of others reading along - you absolutely
> *can* have multiple bbappends per recipe. To answer the original question
> though, no you cannot have bbappends conditionally applied based on what image
> is being built - you cannot have other recipes built differently based on the
> image being built *period*. Other than what gets shared via the sysroot,
> recipes are largely independent of eachother, and that's by design.

Thank you, I will abandon that line of inquiry.

So I now have recipes that attempt to overwrite inittab with their own
custom version.  These individual recipes are included in different
images and have DEPENDS += " sysvinit-inittab" in them.  However, the
resulting image still has the original inittab from sysvinit-inittab
recipe, not the custom inittab in my new recipes.

My recipes look like this now:

LICENSE = "BSD"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://LICENSE;md5=9bea9267288f79f074b2e000d3cf6412"
SRC_URI = "file://LICENSE file://inittab-imageX"
S = "${WORKDIR}"
DEPENDS += " sysvinit-inittab"

FILES_${PN} = "/etc/inittab"

do_install () {
    install -d ${D}${sysconfdir}
    install -m 0644 -D ${S}/inittab-imageX ${D}${sysconfdir}/inittab
}

Is there something more I'm missing?  Thanks.