[yocto] Per image customizations

Edward Wingate edwingate8 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:07:26 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> So what this will give you is alternative packages to be installed instead of
> sysvinit-inittab in your image.

I was under the (mistaken) impression that my recipe will run in
addition to, not instead of, sysvinit-inittab (occurring after it and
overwriting its inittab with my custom version).

> Have you verified (by way of the image manifest written next to the image file) that this package
> is actually being installed?

The manifest shows both sysvinit-inittab and my package being
installed in the image, but sysvinit-inittab's inittab apparently
takes precedence over mine.

> What steps have you taken to ensure that it does get installed in preference to sysvinit-inittab?

None, due to my mistaken impression.  After investigating your kind
inference with help of Yocto manual, I replaced in my recipe:
DEPENDS += " sysvinit-inittab"
with:
RREPLACES_${PN} = "sysvinit-inittab"

and it appears to be working now.  I've been using Yocto for a year
now, but still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of it.  I
tend to get things to work by floundering about, so even though it
does works, I would appreciate knowing if this was the most proper
course of action.  Thanks!