[yocto] fitImage and initramfs

Hamish Guthrie Hamish.Guthrie at kistler.com
Wed Dec 21 10:11:43 PST 2016

Hi Rick,

>> What happens if you use core-image-minimal-initramfs for INITRAMFS_IMAGE?

I just tried that and Yocto complains with Nothing PROVIDES 'core-image-minimal-initramfs'

>> I think the main problem is that you are telling Yocto to include the full rootfs image as an initramfs instead of the reduced, special-purpose initramfs image.

I am not sure that Yocto should give a damn about what I am trying to put into my initramfs, if I am stupid enough to include a 100G image into my initramfs, it is my problem, not Yocto's! If I am stupid enough to do that, knowing that I only have 256M RAM, I should be the one bitten!

I have tried doing the same thing with a special reduced filesystem for our update software (which is about 4M, by the way), and I get the same error with (Unexpected end of input), so I do not believe for a moment it is the size of the initramfs. I suspect something in the kernel.bbclass, but for the life of me I cannot see why it would fail. It should just WORK!

Hamish