[yocto] Best practice for files copied directly into sysroot?

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Tue Dec 1 11:50:24 PST 2015

Michael,

I'm glad I decided to answer your question because I think I found an easier way to do it than I have been doing this in the past.  If you want to be able to update the files on your system at a later date, you will want to make your own recipe which installs the binaries and scripts onto the rootfs.  In general you create a recipe which does not have do_configure or do_compile tasks.  There is a class that does this already called "bin_package" that does this for you.  See the "Packaging Externally Produced Binaries" section of the manual here: http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.0/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#new-recipe-testing-examples.   So if you include the line "inherit bin_package" and follow the instructions in that section of the manual, it should install all the files to the rootfs that are included in the recipe.

Regards,
Bryan