[yocto] Best practice for files copied directly into sysroot?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sat Dec 5 13:23:15 PST 2015

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 09:26:15 Michael Habibi wrote:
> I am working on potentially migrating our distribution to Yocto (will be a
> long, long process). We have an area of our filesystem where any file
> placed will go directly into the rootfs of the target. This works well with
> our product, as we have certain binaries and scripts that need to be copied
> directly, and there's no other real step involved (no compilation, etc). Is
> there a best practice or existing class that handles this? I saw mention of
> a binary/ directory but I wasn't sure if that was for this or something
> else.

I see you got your answer - but I wanted to point out when you wrote "sysroot"
you meant "rootfs" - these two aren't the same thing. The sysroot is the area
used to share files between recipes (e.g. libraries and headers); whilst it can
look a bit similar to what ends up in the rootfs it's actually completely
separate.

Cheers,
Paul

--