[yocto] Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found.

Gorny Krystian krystian.gorny at wipotec.com
Mon Aug 17 02:06:08 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have a problem with booting my Linux image. The boot error message is:

(...)
VFS: Mounted root (vfat filesystem) readonly on device 3:1.
Devtmpfs: error mounting -2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 636K (c1aa6000 - c1b45000)
Write protecting the kernel text: 7544k
Write protecting the kernel read-only  data: 2800k
Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.
CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.14.39ltsi-rt37-yocto-preempt-rt #1
(...)

I'm using the fido branch and build an core-image-rt for the genericx86 machine. Create the yocto image works well. I have used the https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/How_do_I#Q:_How_do_I_put_Yocto_on_a_hard_drive.3F instructions to put my image to the hard drive. I use ext4 as file system. When I put the image to a VirtualBox hard drive the virtual machine boots correctly without issues. This issue occur only on my real hardware (industrial pc with intel atom cpu).

I already tried to put init=/sbin/init or init=/sbin/init.sysvinit to grub.cfg without success. Any ideas?

Thanks Krystian

Krystian Gorny
Research & Development

Wipotec GmbH
Adam-Hoffmann-Str. 26
67657 Kaiserslautern

T +49.631.34146-0
F +49.631.34146-8640
http://www.wipotec.com

[http://www.wipotec.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Signatur/W_Standard.jpg]<http://www.wipotec.com>

Legal information:
Wipotec Wiege- und Positioniersysteme GmbH
HRB 2317 Kaiserslautern, Management: T. D?ppre, U. Wagner

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.