[yocto] U-Boot with a different default device tree, for BeagleBone-similar system

Craig McQueen craig.mcqueen at innerrange.com
Mon Apr 20 22:23:20 PDT 2015

I'm working on a system based on the TI Sitara AM335x similar to the BeagleBone Black, but with various custom hardware. I've got a custom device tree for it, and it's working well.

In Yocto, I've defined a custom machine in a custom layer under conf/machine, derived from the BeagleBone Black machine with modifications. The kernel is compiling my device tree named something like am335x-myfantasticdevice.dtb, due to a KERNEL_DEVICETREE... line. However, U-Boot is still looking for the stock BeagleBone Black device tree named am335x-boneblack.dtb.

How can I modify my Yocto build so that U-Boot by default will expect a device tree with the name am335x-myfantasticdevice.dtb? I can see UBOOT_MACHINE but I'm not sure what I can do with it.

--
Craig McQueen