[yocto] Make autotools use autogen.sh

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon Jul 14 08:39:19 PDT 2014

On 14 July 2014 16:31, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
> a) do_compile fails because make depends on INSTALL, because INSTALL
> is listed in the aravis_DATA list in Makefile.am.

That's silly.  Why would you ever need the install instructions to be
installed?  Personally I'd patch that out and send it to them.
INSTALL is implicitly included in tarballs and there's no purpose in
installing a generic installation document.

> b) It appears (subject to further investigation) that autoreconf
> --install doesn't create the INSTALL file because it is passed the
> --foreign flag (whereas autogen.sh passes the --gnu flag to automake).

That's right, for historical reasons we patch autoreconf to always use
automake --foreign.  It would be interesting to see if that isn't
required now.

> I'm going to continue poking around and see if there is some sort of
> OE_USE_GNU_INSTEAD_OF_FOREIGN flag I can set in my recipe :-)  In the
> mean time, I have established that I can override do_configure (for
> this specific case) with:

Sadly there isn't a flag to control the --foreign being passed to
automake in autoreconf.  If you don't want to patch out the mention of
INSTALL in the makefile, consider simply using do_configure_append()
to touch ${S}/INSTALL.

Ross