[yocto] Make autotools use autogen.sh

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 08:31:40 PDT 2014

Hi Ross,
Thank you for answering.  As we've been digging into it here, we've found:
a) do_compile fails because make depends on INSTALL, because INSTALL
is listed in the aravis_DATA list in Makefile.am.
b) It appears (subject to further investigation) that autoreconf
--install doesn't create the INSTALL file because it is passed the
--foreign flag (whereas autogen.sh passes the --gnu flag to automake).

I'm going to continue poking around and see if there is some sort of
OE_USE_GNU_INSTEAD_OF_FOREIGN flag I can set in my recipe :-)  In the
mean time, I have established that I can override do_configure (for
this specific case) with:

do_configure() {
    NOCONFIGURE=true ./autogen.sh --enable-gst-plugin
    oe_runconf
}

The NOCONFIGURE=true is required because that's what upstream
autogen.sh checks to see whether it should run configure or not.

If I wanted to learn more about autogen.sh dying out, where would I
look?  I'd be happy to talk with the upstream maintainer about whether
he could eliminate this or not, but I'd like to know more myself
before starting that conversation.  However, I think there might still
be the issue with --foreign vs --gnu (assuming that is truly the root
cause of the missing INSTALL file).

--wpd