[yocto] Make autotools use autogen.sh

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 06:32:59 PDT 2014

First off, I have no expertise whatsoever autotools at all.  I know
they exist.  I know they make life simpler (somehow) for (some?)
people.  I shutter to think of ever trying to learn enough about how
they work to learn that they would make my life simpler.

But, I _do_ know how to run a shell script called "autogen.sh", if it
exists in a package I'm adding to my project.  And I have a project
that includes it;  and I do see that it runs all sorts of tools like
autoheader, automake, libtoolize, etc…

One thing that it does run in the midst of all of that is "automake
--add-missing", which creates the INSTALL file for the package.

What is the best thing to do here…
Should I inherit autotools and override do_configure with my own
version that just runs the (package supplied) autogen.sh?

Is there a way for autotools to run automake --add-missing?

Should I go figure out why the build fails in INSTALL doesn't exist?
(I'm going to start there, since my first two ideas haven't panned
out.  (Well, I haven't actually tried the first one yet, it just seems
silly to me to inherit autotools and then not use them.))

Should I try something else?

Thanks (as always) for any tips or pointers you might have.

--wpd