[yocto] Adding firmware to initramfs

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Mon Dec 1 05:23:50 PST 2014

Chris,

For future management, you may be better off using a .bbappend for the image instead of adding this to your local.conf.  If you have your own layer in which you have your own recipes, placing a .bbappend for the image in this layer makes it easy to keep track of everything you changed to customize the image.  If you need to start a new build setup from scratch (new developer starts working on the project, hard drive crashes, etc.) you can get a copy of your layer and have all your image customizations ready.

Specifically for your case, adding the file recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-initramfs.bbappend to your layer with the contents:

PACKAGE_INSTALL += "linux-firmware"

should get you the same results but be easier to maintain.

Regards,
Bryan